This rich and creamy curry will be your new favorite! It's made with sweet potato, coconut milk, and cranberries then topped with pistachio nuts for a little bit of crunch factor. Serve it on a bed of steamed brown jasmine rice, or your grain of choice.
Sweet Potato Coconut Curry With Cranberries and Pistachios [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil (or your preferred oil)
For the Curry Paste:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
For the Curry:
- 2 1/2 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- Slightly less than 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 1/2 cups chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons pistachio nuts
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium-high heat and add all of the spices, garlic, and tomato puree. Fry for around a minute, stirring continuously, to create a curry paste. Remove the pan from the heat, transfer the paste into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Return the pan to the heat (without washing), place the remaining oil and the onion in the pan. Stir well and cook for a few minutes until they have begun to soften.
- Add the potato cubes into the pan and saute for around four minutes, stirring frequently. Add the sweet potato cubes and continue to cook for a further four minutes, still stirring frequently.
- Now add a couple of tablespoons of the water, stirring until it has evaporated, then add the mushrooms. Continue cooking for a few minutes then add the remainder of the water and the curry paste to the pan. Mix well, cover and simmer for around ten minutes until both the potato and the sweet potato have begun to soften. As the curry cooks stir occasionally. If it begins to stick, then add a little extra water as necessary.
- Stir in the cranberries, recover and cook for a further three minutes. Now add the coconut milk, mix well and simmer for around five minutes, stirring regularly until all of the vegetables have cooked through and the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Divide into portions, sprinkle over the pistachios, and serve.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS