This juicy, Portobello steak will satisfy your cravings and fill you up. Sauteed with onions, balsamic vinegar, mirin, and herbs it’s a compassionate alternative to eating our furry friends!
Portobello Mushroom Steaks [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegan vegetable or vegan beef broth
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin or sherry
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- A dash of ground black pepper
- 2 large, whole Portobello mushrooms
- In a large frying pan, heat the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add half of the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Next, add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 8 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, excluding the mushrooms and the remaining broth. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth to clean them and pull off the stems.
- Add the whisked mixture to the pan and reduce to medium heat. Bring to a simmer, and then add in the Portobello caps and their stems.
- Cover and cook for about 8 minutes. Gently turn over the mushrooms, add in the remaining broth, cover, and cook an additional 8 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with the juice and onions over top.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS