This hearty Moroccan stew is a new way to experience comfort food. Turmeric, ginger, and saffron are warm and rich spices, without the heat. Carrots, kohlrabi, and sweet potato add bulk, along with the lentils, which fill your belly without making you feel weighed down.
Djaja Tarat: Moroccan Stew [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 kohlrabi
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 crushed saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed and picked through for small stones
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, kohlrabi, sweet potato, and ginger and cook down for 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric, saffron, and salt. Stir in diced tomatoes lentils, and broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in kale and serve.