Your guests will never believe this raw vegan espresso pie is healthy! The crust is made from almonds and dates and the filling is made from soaked cashews, brewed coffee and espresso beans — it’s a coffee lover’s dream!
Creamy Raw Chocolate Espresso Pie [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cacao powder
- 1 1/2 cup soaked cashews*
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 3 pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon espresso beans
To Make the Crust:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse. It may take a while to crush everything up so be patient – no more than a minute though.
- Spray a pie pan or round cake pan (I used an 8-inch cake pan, but either will work) with nonstick spray or coconut oil and, using a spatula, flatten crust out in bottom. Rub spatula over mixture so that it is smooth and then place in freezer.
To Make the Filling:
- Combine cashews and water in a blender and pulse until mixture turns smooth.
- Add in cacao, coffee and syrup and blend.
- Lastly, add in dates and espresso beans.
- Remove crust from freezer and pour filling over top, using a spatula to smoothen out if needed.
- Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes or until mixture hardens; cut into slices and serve.
- Store in freezer or refrigerator – either will work.
*Soak cashews in water for at least six hours ahead of time.