The crust for this pizza uses both white and wholemeal flour to produce a crisp base that has that classic pizza crunch when you bite into it. It's topped with herby roasted garlic tomato sauce, barbecue eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, and fresh basil. The real star of the show here is the barbecue eggplant. Sticky-sweet and melt in your mouth eggplant perfectly tops this crisp pizza base. Using the freshest ingredients makes this pizza fragrant and flavorful!
BBQ Eggplant Pizza [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the Base:
- 3/4 cup white self-raising flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1/2 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup water
- A pinch of salt
For the Sauce:
- 1/3 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- A pinch of salt and pepper
For the Toppings:
- 1/2 eggplant
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 zucchini
- 2 chestnut mushrooms
- 2 baby tomatoes
- A large handful of basil leaves
- Turn the oven to 390°F and roast 2 cloves of garlic for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven. Leave the oven on.
- To make the dough, mix together the flour, salt, and the water. Knead together, adding more self-raising flour, as needed, until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Thinly slice the vegetables and place the zucchini, mushrooms, and tomatoes to one side.
- Add 1/4 cup barbecue sauce to a bowl and fully coat the eggplant. Heat a griddle pan on high heat and grill the eggplant for a few minutes each side, until soft and the barbecue sauce is sticky.
- In a food processor, blend up the tomatoes, roasted garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Dust the surface with flour and spread out the dough with your hands, until it’s less than 1/4-inch thick and is the circumference of the pan you are using.
- Place your dough, sauce, and vegetables next to the stovetop, ready for quick assembly of the pizza. The thinner the dough, the crispier your base will be.
- Add enough oil to the pan to thinly coat the bottom of a pan, and heat on high for about a minute, then add the dough to the pan, top with tomato sauce, the toppings, and half of the basil. Keep heating on high for a few minutes, in which time the base should be crisping up on the bottom and sides. Then, place the pan in the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown and then remove carefully.
- Transfer the pizza to a plate or board. Slice and serve.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS