The holiday season is in full swing and my mind is on sweet treats! Although my dessert cravings are always strong, something about the holidays really kicks my sweet tooth into overdrive. To my delight, this is also often the case with my friends, family and coworkers. Transforming a traditional holiday confection, such as chocolate-covered cherries, into an unexpected dessert is bound to be a hit with vegans and non-vegans alike. Why not give these Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies to someone special on your list? Just don’t forget to make some extras for yourself.
Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Makes approximately 24 cookies
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 1 cup refined sugar
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 24 dark morello cherries in syrup
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup non-dairy vanilla milk
- 3 teaspoons morello cherry juice, from jar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread and refined sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix on low-medium speed until fluffy.
- Add in the mashed banana and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing on medium speed until fully combined. The cookie batter will be pretty thick.
- Scoop the batter onto a baking pan and make a thumbprint in the center of each cookie
- Scoop the cherries out of their jar and place one cherry in each thumbprint
- In a small pot over low heat, melt the chocolate chips and non-dairy milk, stirring constantly.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the cherry juice.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the melted chocolate over top of each cookie
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes
- Remove the cookies from the oven, spoon another teaspoon of chocolate over each cookie and allow them to cool to room temperature.
We’ve got more chocolate infused cookies for you right here!