Chickpea Fries were definitely on my to-do list of favorite appetizers I had to make for myself and I did. They are incredibly fast and easy to make. It’s just like making Polenta Fries except I pan-fried these instead of baking them. My Chickpea Fries are large, crispy, spicy and addictive. I served them with a creamy dipping sauce. And I’ll let you guess who got the last one. Enjoy!
This Recipe is :
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 Tbs. safflower oil, divided
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Oil or cooking spray for pan
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Add the chickpea flour slowly and stir until smooth. Add 1 Tbs. oil and spices and mix for another minute or two until it is thickened. Remove from the heat. Oil a small baking dish or casserole pan. Spread the chickpea batter into the pan evenly, smoothing the top with a spatula. Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight until it is firm and solid.
- Remove from the refrigerator. Loosen the edges with a butter knife or thin spatula. Turn the dish over while keeping one hand on the chickpea block and carefully let the block land on a cutting board. Cut the block into fries. You should get at least 16 fries depending on the size you cut them.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium high heat and cook the chickpea fries until they are browned and crispy on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel lined dish or cooling rack and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Serve with your favorite dip.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
ChickpeaChickpea FlourGrain-Free FlourNut-free Flour