This salad is a salad like no other. It has a base of zucchini ribbons topped with sweet corn, blackberries, herbs, and avocado with caramelized slices of hearts of palm mixed in. The vibrant, lemony, and herby dressing would steal the show if it weren't for the slightly sweet, crisp hearts of palm. The balance of basil, salty, sweet, and sour in this salad is near perfection.
Zucchini Ribbon and Caramelized Hearts of Palm Salad [Vegan]
For the Lemon Pesto Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup vegan pesto
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener
For the Salad:
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1 cup sweet whole kernel corn
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil leaves, shredded
- Whisk ingredients for dressing in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium frying pan and add hearts of palm, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes or until the edges turn a nice golden brown. Remove from heat and cool while prepping the salad.
- Use a potato peeler to grate zucchini into ribbons and toss in a bowl with palm hearts and other ingredients for salad.
- Add dressing to taste and serve immediately or refrigerate without dressing for no more than 3 hours.