If you have a surplus of zucchini or other summer squash you don't know what to do with, this is the recipe to make! The zucchini adds untold moisture and subtle sweetness to this cake, poppy seeds add a little crunch, and the lemon icing gives it a tangy kick. It's a really pretty cake too, so enjoy a slice with a cup of your favorite tea. How sophisticated!
Zucchini Poppy Seed Cake With Lemon Drizzle Icing [Vegan]
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup organic sugar or stevia
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar or stevia
- 4 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 355°F.
- In a small bowl, add the chia seeds and water and allow to sit for five minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and soda together.
- Add the sugar, poppy seeds, and chia mix, and stir together.
- Using a whisk add the almond milk and coconut oil until you have a batter-like consistency.
- Slowing add the grated zucchini, folding in lightly to keep as much air in the batter as possible.
- Line a cake tin with melted coconut oil and pour the batter into the tin.
- Pop in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Once the cake is golden brown and cooked through, set aside and allow to cool.
- To make the icing, simply combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir.
- Once the cake has cooled drizzle with icing and enjoy.