This dish pairs wild rice with that great lean-season preserve, sauerkraut, here made with green cabbage. Foraged wild rice is available, although most of what is in your supermarket will probably be cultivated, so the rice is far less wild than the name implies.
Wild Rice and Sauerkraut Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup wild rice or a mixture of wild rice and basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups peeled and chopped celeriac (celery root; bite-size pieces)
- 1 tablespoon dried sage or marjoram
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1 3/4 cups sauerkraut
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- Fill a medium saucepan three-quarters full with water. Add a teaspoon of kosher salt and bring to a boil. Add the rice. Reduce the heat and follow the timing on the package for cooking the rice. Drain any remaining water from the pan.
- Warm 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the celeriac and dried herbs and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Toss in the garlic, apple, and sauerkraut, adda pinch of seasoning, and warm for 2 minutes before adding the rice to the pan. Turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.
- 3. Mix the rest of the oil and the vinegar in a small bowl with another pinch of seasoning. Transfer the rice and veggie mixture to a serving bowl. Add the dressing and the pumpkin seeds and give toss it.
- Sprinkle with parsley to serve.