This cornbread is delicious as is, but even better if dipped in a brothy soup. The recipe is really easy: the basic mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients and bake!
Whole-Grain Cornbread [Vegan, Oil-Free]
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups medium grind whole-grain cornmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, whole-wheat pastry flour, baking powder and salt with a whisk.
- Add applesauce and maple syrup to the milk and vinegar and whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Let cool in baking dish for 10 minutes.
- Lift the bread out of the baking dish and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Slice in four on each side to have 12 squares.
- Whole Wheat