35-minute weeknight red beans and quinoa with easy ingredients, flavor staples, and your favorite hot sauce for a healthy, plant-based dinner satisfied. You have to try this Weeknight Red Beans and Quinoa!
Weeknight Red Beans and Quinoa [Vegan]
- 1 onion, chopped into large chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- 2 stalks celery, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon Tabasco (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 4 cups water + 2 veggie bouillon (stock) cubes or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups)
- 2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan or soup pot to medium. Add the onion, green bell pepper, and celery.
- Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onions are slightly browned. Be sure to move the ingredients constantly to avoid sticking.
- Add the 3 cloves minced garlic, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon dried thyme. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, tabasco, veggie broth, kidney beans, and quinoa.
- Bring the pot to a low boil, then reduce to simmer, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Remove the lid and fluff up the quinoa.
- Taste and add salt, pepper or more tabasco.
- Garnish with sliced scallions or chopped parsley if desired.