They make me think of words like rich, ooey-gooey, and decadent. And those are words I love. I also love chocolate, which is why we used bars of dark chocolate, cacao chunks, and rich cacao butter to make these brownies a trifecta of chocolatey heaven. You're gonna love 'em. The pumpkin was a brilliant addition. I mean it! It adds a soft, gooey pumpkin layer to an already sweet, fudgy bottom layer. The combination creates an almost cheesecake-like brownie that will make an appearance at Halloween and Thanksgiving.
Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Swirl Brownies [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Swirl Brownies [Vegan]
For the Brownies:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate bar, broken into small pieces (see notes)
- 1/3 cup cacao butter
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax meal, plus 6 tablespoons water)
For the Pumpkin Swirl Topping:
- 1 15-ounce can of pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
How to Prepare Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Swirl Brownies [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a 9x7-inch pan. Make the flax egg by combining flax meal with water and setting aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- Using the double boiler method, melt cacao nibs, cacao butter, dark chocolate, butter, and vanilla until they become the consistency of warm chocolate fudge sauce.
- Once the chocolate mixture is melted and well combined, add it to the dry ingredients, stirring to combine. Add flax eggs and stir again. Pour the resulting brownie batter into the 9x7-inch pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the can of pumpkin, unsweetened applesauce, and pumpkin pie spice. Pour it evenly over the brownie batter, using a butter knife or toothpick to gently swirl some of the pumpkin topping into the chocolate batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the pumpkin is slightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let brownies cool for 20-30 minutes before enjoying them so the chocolate and pumpkin layers can set.
- When they are cool, try them with a giant scoop of coconut ice cream.
As you may have noticed, three 1/3 cup measurements makes for 1 cup of chocolate in this recipe. If you don't have cacao nibs or butter and want to use only dark chocolate, please do. If you want to sub it all out for cacao nibs, you may also do that.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Pumpkin Seed
- Pumpkin Spice
- Whole Wheat
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 415 | Carbs: 43 g | Fat: 26 g | Protein: 6 g | Sodium: 118 mg | Sugar: 21 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.