This is a fragrant, tomato-based stew cooked with saffron and fresh fennel. The potatoes and tofu make it a hearty meal that will even please everyone!
Tofu Bouillabaisse [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, cut in half and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium-size fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into half-moons
- 3 medium-size potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 package (15 ounces, or 420 g) extra-firm tofu, cubed
- 1 can (28 ounces, or 784 g) diced tomatoes or 3 cups (540 g) chopped fresh
- 1 1/2 cups (353 ml) water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
The Night Before:
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 3 minutes longer. Store the sautéed onion and the cut-up fennel, celery, carrots, potatoes, and tofu in an airtight container in the fridge.
To Prepare the Dish:
- Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
You can add seaweed, such as Kombu, for some sea flavor, if you like. Just add it in the morning with the other ingredients.