Who doesn't love a nice big slice of cream pie? This banana cream pie really is the best, too, with a nutty crust, creamy coconut filling, and slices of sweet bananas. It's just like the one you remember from your childhood, but you know, just better in every way.
The Best Banana Cream Pie Ever [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cup roasted and salted almonds
- 1 cup dates, soaked in warm water for 2o minutes
- 1/4 cup dried, toasted coconut
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk (not light)
- 1 1/2 cups of almond milk
- 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed plus 6 tablespoons of water, mix well until it becomes thick and sticky like eggs
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl whisk the sugar, cornstarch, and salt together until well blended. Set aside.
- In a heavy medium saucepan whisk the coconut and almond milk together on medium heat until warm. Whisk in the sugar mixture and continue whisking, add the flax eggs and continue whisking until it becomes thick and it begins to boil. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in the coconut oil and vanilla until completely combined. Let cool for approximately one hour.
- While the filling is cooling, make the crust.
- Drain and rinse the dates and put them in a food processor with the almonds and coconut and blend until it becomes thick and sticky. Press evenly into the bottom of a pie pan.
- When the filling is cool spread half of it evenly over the pie crust. Spread the bananas evenly over the filling and then evenly spread the remaining filling on top of the bananas. Cover and refrigerate for at least five hours, preferably overnight to set.
Keep refrigerated for up to three days.