The flavor medley in this tangy chili sauce is tricky to describe with words. There really is a lot going on in there. Think of an orchestra at the very climax of a symphony. All the instruments are playing with intensity but they still blend together in harmony. That’s what the tang, heat, sweetness, acidity, and smokiness are doing in this. Every note is loud, but complimenting the rest. “Tangy chili sauce” may be a slight understatement.
Tangy Chili Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-4 red Thai chilis, sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked (or regular) paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and sauté for 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and chilis and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients to the onion-garlic-chili mixture and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Place the mixture into the food processor and process on high for about 2 minutes.