This vegan hot and sour soup is based off a regional dish in both Mandarin and Szechuan cuisines. The hot comes from chile pepper and the sour comes from vinegar. Paired with stir fry or other Chinese-inspired mains and sides, this stand-out soup is perfect for winter. It will keep you warm and cozy on the coldest of days. Try out this vegan hot and sour soup––you’ll be happy that you did!
Szechuan Hot and Sour Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Szechuan Hot and Sour Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 hot chile pepper, seeded and diced, or cayenne pepper, to taste
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (try straw or shiitake)
- 1 8-ounce can bamboo shoots
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped small zucchini
- 1 cup chopped small carrots
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or organic sugar
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder dissolved in 1/2 cup cold water
- Half a 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, grated (optional)
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
How to Prepare Szechuan Hot and Sour Soup [Vegan]
- Place the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and chile pepper, and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add the water, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and mixed vegetables and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the agave, vinegar, and arrowroot mixture, and gently stir until soup thickens. Add the soy sauce and tofu, if using, and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the green onion and mix well before serving.
Total Calories: 706 | Total Carbs: 110 g | Total Fat: 25 g | Total Protein: 35 g | Total Sodium: 2119 g | Total Sugar: 47 g
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.