Enjoy this classic Swiss dish with comforting flavors and a pleasant texture. The peas and leeks compliments this perfectly!
Swiss Spaetzle With Leek and Peas [Vegan]
For the Spaetzle:
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 3/4 cup sparkling water
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
For the Vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups of leeks, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 and a half cups of frozen peas
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 lemon, lemon peel and 1 tablespoon juice
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and saffron with sparkling water and coconut milk. Whisk until all ingredients are well combined. Cover and let it rest (for at least 15 min).
- In a pan, heat the olive oil and add peas (or carrots), garlic and leek to it. Roast gently and then deglaze with white vine and coconut milk. Cook until the leeks and peas are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste as well as the lemon peel and juice.
- Bring a large pot of salt water to boil for the Spaetzle. Now either use two spoons by filling one with dough and using the other one to 'cutting' the dough and let little bits drop into the boil water.
- Once the Spaetzle raise to the top of the water, it is done!
- Remove with a slotted spoon and mix with the vegetables. Cook another 1-2 minutes before serving.