This Vegan Sweet Potato Frittata is made with sautéed onions and chickpea flour. It’s the perfect dish that is full of great nutrition and can be beautifully plated with a crisp green salad.
Sweet Potato Frittata [Vegan]
- 3 medium sweet potatoes - peeled and diced into cubes
- 2 large onions - chopped
- 3 garlic cloves - finely dices
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds - soaked in 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan rock salt
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 2 teaspoons organic cold pressed coconut oil
- Peel, diced and chop all the vegetables. In a small bowl, add the chia seeds and water, mix and leave aside to swell to create the chia 'egg' (egg substitute).
- Heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil in a medium pan, when heated add the onions and saute until golden brown.Do this by cooking on a medium heat over a long period of time. Remove once cooked and place in a separate bowl.
- Heat another teaspoon of coconut oil in the same pan you used to cook the onions, and when heated add the chopped sweet potatoes. Saute until soft and golden brown. You can add a little water to help steam them along. Add 1 teaspoon of the mixed herbs just before removing from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 355°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chickpea flour, chia 'egg', water, salt, pepper, the bicarbonate of soda and the remaining 1 teaspoons mixed herbs. Mix with a whisk so that there are no lumps of flour.
- Add the cooked sweet potato and sauteed onions, and stir.
- Grease a cast iron baking pot with some coconut oil, and place into the oven to heat up. Once heated for about 5 mins, and the oven is at temperature, remove and pour in the frittata mixture.
- Place the lid on the pot, and bake at 355°F for 30 minutes. Take out of the oven after 30 minutes, and remove the lid. Place back into the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Once fully cooked, remove from the oven, and leave to cool. Use a spatula to separate the sides from the pot, slice into triangles and serve with your favorite green salad and healthy salad dressings.
- Sweet Potato