An ultra creamy, hearty, and savory sweet potato coconut stew. A comforting and warm winter meal only made in one-pot and takes 30-minutes to make.
Sweet Potato Coconut Stew [Vegan]
For the Stew:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- (Optional) dash of red pepper flakes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Fresh basil
- Toasted cashews
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil until shimmering. Add garlic, ginger, onion, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-4 min. until soft and translucent.
- Stir in spices and toast for 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes and carrots. Stir well to coat the vegetables in spices and onion mixture. Pour in coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a low boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in tahini. Squeeze in juice from 1/2 lemon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer half of the stew into a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour back into the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve stew with fresh basil and a sprinkle of toasted cashews. Toast cashews by simply adding them to a small skillet over medium heat.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. until golden brown, stirring frequently.