An ultra creamy, hearty, and savory sweet potato coconut stew. A comforting and warm winter meal only made in one-pot and takes 30-minutes to make.
Sweet Potato Coconut Stew [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Potato Coconut Stew [Vegan]
For the Stew:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- (Optional) dash of red pepper flakes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Fresh basil
- Toasted cashews
How to Prepare Sweet Potato Coconut Stew [Vegan]
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil until shimmering. Add garlic, ginger, onion, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-4 min. until soft and translucent.
- Stir in spices and toast for 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes and carrots. Stir well to coat the vegetables in spices and onion mixture. Pour in coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a low boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in tahini. Squeeze in juice from 1/2 lemon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer half of the stew into a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour back into the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve stew with fresh basil and a sprinkle of toasted cashews. Toast cashews by simply adding them to a small skillet over medium heat.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. until golden brown, stirring frequently.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.