If you're looking for a sweet snack that's not too sweet, then this is the recipe for you! These chocolatey crackers are sweet from the maple syrup, but a little spicy from the cinnamon and red pepper. They're a great gluten-free snack to munch on throughout the day, or whenever you're looking to satisfy a bunch of different cravings at once.
Sweet and Spicy Chocolate Chickpea Crackers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup chickpea flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cacao powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water (more as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, and chili powder in a medium bowl and stir until uniform.
- Combine all liquids and slowly add while stirring, until it forms a pliable dough. Knead until smooth and firm, adding more flour or water as needed.
- Roll into a ball, cover in plastic wrap, and rest for 10 minutes.
- Dust a clean surface or cutting board with flour, half the dough, flatten a bit in your hands, then roll it out until it is 1/8-inch thick. You don't want them thick, or they will be hard.
- Cut the dough into 1-inch squares and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Prick the tops of the squares with a fork to prevent them from bubbling as they bake. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crispy. Cool on the sheet, so that they will crisp.