A deconstructed sushi bowl makes a delicious and filling lunch that is great to take to work, school, or a picnic. You can’t go wrong with veggies, tofu, or whatever you want on a bed of delicious rice. This recipe is also great to make if you don’t have the skill or patience to make your own sushi. You can play around with different toppings such as avocado, pumpkin, soybean sprouts, radish, or whatever you feel like. Find this recipe in Bianca Haun & Sascha Naderer’s The Veginner’s Cookbook through Skyhorse Publishing!
Sushi Bowl With Sesame-Crusted Tofu [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sushi Bowl With Sesame-Crusted Tofu [Vegan]
For the Sushi Rice:
- 1 cup sushi rice or short-grain rice
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon brown rice vinegar
For the Sesame-Crusted Tofu:
- 7-ounces of firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup fresh green soy beans
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cucumber, julienned
- 1/4 nori sheet, cut in strips
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
How to Prepare Sushi Bowl With Sesame-Crusted Tofu [Vegan]
- Wash the rice until the water stays clear and cook the rice according to package instructions. Season with salt and brown rice vinegar and let the rice cool down.
- Meanwhile, cut the firm tofu in cubes. Combine 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour and the water for the batter in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the white sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, and salt to make the coating. Work in batches to coat the tofu cubes first in the wet batter, then transfer it into the dry coating, and shake carefully so the tofu is coated evenly. Repeat until all of the tofu cubes are coated. Heat enough oil in a pan to cover the bottom. Once hot, add in the tofu cubes and pan-fry them on medium-high heat until crispy. Turn the tofu cubes over and let them get crispy on all sides. Set them aside.
- In the same pan, quickly pan-roast the soy beans with lemon juice and add salt to taste.
- Once everything’s ready, you can start assembling your sushi bowl.
- Cover the bottom of your bowl with sushi rice and place the carrot, scallion, cucumber, nori strips, sesame crusted tofu, soy beans, and pickled ginger on top. Sprinkle black sesame seeds on top.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving (does not include toppings): Calories: 336 | Carbs: 37g | Fat: 16g | Protein: 14g | Sodium: 16mg | Sugar: 1gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.