There’s something exhilarating about eating bright colored foods. Don’t you agree? Don’t get me wrong, I adore a nice lentil stew or brown rice, but what really gets me to a happy place is when I feel like I’m eating the rainbow. This super greens soup is bursting with spring flavor and freshness- leeks, broccoli, peas, parsley and spinach are a killer combo, and the crispiness of the chickpeas make this a well rounded dish.
Super Greens Soup With Crispy Chickpea Croutons [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 can BPA free, organic chickpeas
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 medium sized leek
- 1 stalk broccoli
- 2 ribs of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- handful of spinach
- ¼ cup frozen organic peas
- Juice from half lemon
- handful of parsley
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Open your can of chickpeas and drain until they no longer foam (this is to get rid of all of the salt).
- Toss the chickpeas with 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Spread evenly onto baking sheet and bake for 20-25 min or until slightly crispy.
- In the meantime, chop leek finely (discard the rough dark green part) and saute in 2 teaspoons coconut oil for 5 min.
- Chop the broccoli, celery, mince the garlic, and add to the pot along with the veggie broth and salt & pepper. Simmer for 7-10 min.
- Add peas, spinach and ginger and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and add parsley and lemon juice.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or regular blender.
- Serve with chickpeas and enjoy!