Garlic scapes are an incredible bit of summer produce because the garlicky flavor is mild and they don't require any mincing or peeling like conventional garlic. Shaved up and tossed with zucchini noodles, they make a delicious summery dish that tastes so freakin’ fresh. For a many-textured dish, throw in some purple cabbage and sprinkle crushed almonds on top.
Summer Garlic Scape and Zucchini Pasta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2.5 pounds fresh, firm zucchini
- 10 garlic scapes
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage
- Several sprigs of lemon thyme
- 1 small serving of gluten-free pasta, cooked per package directions
- Salt, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Olive oil, to taste
- Roughly chopped almonds, to taste
- Spiralize the zucchini. Roast them in a 450°F oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Thinly slice the cabbage.
- Using a sharp vegetable peeler, shave the garlic scapes into thin strips. You may steam the strips for 4-5 minutes if you wish, to soften them. You may also leave them crisp and raw.
- Toss together the zucchini, scapes, cabbage, and pasta.
- Strip the leaves off the lemon thyme and sprinkle them over the pasta. Add the almonds as well.
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Toss seasoning over pasta.