Light, refreshing, and ultra-healthy Stuffed Red Bell Peppers. This recipe is great if you’re looking for healthy lunch or dinner recipes, vegan low FODMAP recipes, or weight loss recipes.
Stuffed Red Bell Peppers [Vegan]
- 5 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 block tempeh
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cups raw spinach
- 1/2 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- shredded vegan cheese optional topping
- 1/2 cup cilantro plus extra for topping
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (if low FODMAP skip this ingredient)
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F then wash your bell peppers well. Chop a small amount of the base of the bell pepper so that it stands upright and doesn’t tip over. Be careful not to cut too much off so that the filling falls through.
- Chop the top of the bell pepper off then carefully use your knife to cut out the seeds in the middle.
- Make sure not to throw away your bell pepper scraps! Arrange on a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the bell peppers are cooking, dice the base and cap of your bell peppers (minus the stem which you can discard.) Peel and dice your carrots. Heat avocado oil on a wide frying pan then add the diced bell peppers and carrots.
- In a separate sauce pan, cook the wild rice in water.
- After about 5 minutes of cooking, add the cumin, nutritional yeast, paprika, and garlic powder. If you’re on a temporary low FODMAP diet, do NOT add the garlic as it will exacerbate symptoms.
- Crumble the block of tempeh then add into the mix. If the mixture gets too dry, add more avocado oil.
- Cook until the carrots are soft and the tempeh is golden brown. Mix in the wild rice and season with salt and pepper.
- Quickly add in the spinach and cook until just wilted. Turn off the heat then mix in the cilantro.
- Evenly stuff the bell peppers with the filling then top with shredded vegan cheese (optional), sliced jalapeño, and cilantro. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Eat fresh or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.