This strawberry lime cake is like the Minute Maid strawberry limeade that so many of us drank during our childhood. The key difference (other than being a cake) is that this recipe leaves out the refined sugar. Sweet strawberries and freshly squeezed and zested lime are folded into a delicious cake batter. Once cooled, it's complemented by a simple vanilla lime icing and topped with fresh berries.
Strawberry Lime Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or additional all-purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Zest and juice of 3 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped ripe strawberries
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest of 1 lime
- Strawberries, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line one 6-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the flours, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt together and stir to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the almond milk, lime zest and juice, white vinegar, and vanilla. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the raw sugar, melted coconut oil, and vanilla to the wet ingredient mixture and whisk.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients to the center. Whisk into a smooth batter.
- Then, fold in chopped strawberries.
- Place batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick into the center comes out clean.
- Then, remove and let cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, whisk the powdered sugar, almond milk, vanilla, and lime zest together until smooth and runny enough to slowly drizzle off a spoon. If the icing is too runny, add more sugar. If it is too thick, add more almond milk.
- Cover the top of the cake with the icing, letting it drip off the sides of the cake. Top with strawberries and serve.
Try cutting the cake in half and filling it with strawberry preserves before icing. Store the cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Adapted from: veganricha