Kick off barbecue season with some sticky little miso-marinated veggies! Zucchini, mushrooms, and tempeh each bring their own texture in these deliciously umami vegetable skewers. The zucchini is soft, the mushrooms are meaty, and the tempeh is firm but meaty. As you grill them, the sticky miso sauce begins to caramelize a little, enhancing its flavor even further. Serve with grains as a main dish or make a bunch for your barbecue.
Sticky Miso Grilled Veggie Skewers [Vegan]
- 2 small zucchinis (or one larger one)
- 3.5 ounces organic tempeh (or firm tofu)
- 8-12 white button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons red miso paste
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon cold pressed toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup cooked grains of choice
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 spring onion, green and white parts
- Handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat a barbecue or grill to medium-high heat
- Slice the zucchini into rounds, something similar in size to the button mushrooms, and cut tempeh into squares, place all the veg in a large bowl
- Place miso, rice syrup, sesame oil, coconut oil, rice vinegar, and garlic in a small blender and blend until smooth. Scoop the miso sauce over the vegetables and mix to combine with your hands. Get everything nice and covered to soak up the sauce. It might seem like a lot, but once on the grill, it will be alright. Use any leftover sauce in the bowl or blender to glaze over the vegetables while grilling.
- Place marinated vegetables on wooden or metal skewers and set in the refrigerator while the grill preheats
- If you haven’t cooked your grains, now is a good time to get that started. Quinoa or millet can be done at the same time, but brown rice should be started beforehand, due to cooking times. Add the juice and zest of half a lime to cooked grains, as well as most of the sesame seeds
- Place skewers on grill, and grill on each side for 8-10 minutes (depending on your barbecue), and keep rotating until all sides are nice and brown and a bit crispy
- Remove from grill, serve with the grains, and sprinkle with basil, spring onion, and remaining sesame seeds. Garnish with leftover lime wedges.