This rice soaks up the tomato liquid for the most flavorful dish that you can fathom. Sautéed spinach with a whisper of nutmeg rounds everything out. Iron, lycopene, grains for energy, nothing more to say.
Spinach Rice [Vegan]
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound organic tomatoes, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain basmati rice, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted organic vegetable stock
- Place a tablespoon of water in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the spinach to just wilt. Remove the spinach from the heat, squeeze out the bitter liquid, and set the spinach aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed, lidded pot over medium heat and add the minced onion and garlic. Cook until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper, paprika, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable stock and spinach. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and then store in the fridge until ready to reheat.