Spicy Mung Bean Sprouts is a dish inspired by the Korean recipe called Maewoon Sukju Namul or Spicy Mung Bean Sprouts Salad. The Korean dish is usually a simple blanched mung bean sprouts dressed in rice vinegar, gochujang and sesame oil; however, in this version the bean sprouts are stir fried like how the Japanese do it. There's also the extra additions of carrots and garlic to give it more taste and texture. It is a simple dish, quick to prepare which is good for those lazy week nights. It adds so much life to the any boring and simple dish, try it and taste it for yourself.
Spicy Mung Bean Sprouts Salad (Maewoon Sukju Namul) [Vegan]
- 17.6 ounces mung bean sprouts
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons gochujang
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- Soak mung bean sprouts in cold water for 10 minutes. Drain then rinse with running cold water.
- In a wok add oil then sauté garlic and white parts of spring onions.
- Add carrots then stir fry for one and a half minutes.
- Add sugar, gochujang and rice vinegar, mix well then add the mung bean sprouts. Stir fry for two minutes.
- Season with salt then add the toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil.
- Add the green part of the spring onions, toss then turn the heat off.