A spicy Mexican inspired soup, a perfect lunch that will warm and fill you up!
Spicy Mexican Soup [Vegan]
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 bag kale
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle paste, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika add more if not using chipotle paste
- 1/4 teaspoon spicy dried chilli flakes add more if not using chipotle paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 jar semi or sundried tomatoes, blended into a paste or use 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 tin sundried tomatoes
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 tin cannelini beans
- 1 teaspoon marmite or sticky soy sauce (only if NOT using chipotle paste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Add the oil to a heated large pot on medium heat. Once the oil is heated (looks runnier), add the chopped onion. Once translucent, add the garlic
When the garlic just starts to brown, add basil, spices (paprika, chilli flakes) and chipotle paste (or sticky soy sauce/marmite), then stir to coat the onion and garlic
Add the blended sundried tomatoes (or tomato purée) and tin of tomatoes. Add 2 large cups of hot water. Bring the mix to boil and add the sugar.
Add the chickpeas and cannelini beans, then simmer (lower heat) and cover for 15 minutes.
Add the kale, taste (and season with salt and pepper to taste) the simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Serve with your choice of side e.g. avo/hummus on toast