For as thrown together as this was it sure did come out great. The recipe makes quite a bit so there are leftovers for lunches this week and probably some to go in the freezer as well.
Spicy Black Bean and Baby Kale Soup [Vegan]
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into coins
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 4 large handfuls baby kale
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat add the olive oil. Once hot add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables start to soften.
- Add the vegetable stock and allow to heat through. Add the Italian seasoning, black beans and red pepper flake. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the grape tomatoes and re cover and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.