These mini apple pie loaves are the perfect alternative to a muffin when you need to add some spice to your morning routine. Easy to prepare, with a frosting made from your favorite vanilla protein powder, these are a great treat to eat while relaxing after that early jog through the first light of day. Enjoy the aroma of freshly-baked apple pie that will soon fill your home as you bake up these mini loaves. Your taste buds will feel warmed and at peace with the perfect combination of spices that give these treats their irresistible flavor.
Spiced Apple Pie Mini Loaves [Vegan]
For the Mini Loaves:
- 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds to 6 tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 fresh apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
For the Crumble:
- 5 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the Protein Powder Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons vegan vanilla protein powder of your choice
- 3 tablespoons almond milk or water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Set aside 2 tablespoons ground flax mixed with 6 tablespoons water to gelatinize into a flax egg.
- While that is happening pulse together the dry ingredients in a food processor to break down the oats a bit. You can add the pecans now, or chop them by hand and add in afterwards. Either works.
- Add in the wet ingredients, as well as the flax egg and combine well.
- Fold in the chopped apples and make sure they’re distributed evenly.
- Distribute this batter evenly between 8 mini loaf or muffin tins that have been sprayed with oil.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- To make the crumble mix together the whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, and the semi-melted coconut oil. Crumble evenly over each of the 8 loaves.
- Bake the loaves for 20 minutes or until the crumble has become golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 25-30 minutes & then place in the refrigerator.
- While the loaves are in the refrigerator mix together the 3 tablespoon protein powder with 3 tablespoons or water or almond milk. Mix in the 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil, and you should have a nice runny glaze. If it seems too thick add in water or almond milk 1 teaspoon at a time. This will depend on what type of protein powder you use.
- Remove the loaves from the refrigerator and drizzle with the protein glaze.