This vegan cake is super moist and super chocolatey, so be prepared for bliss. You'll have leftover cake and icing.
Special Dark Chocolate Cake [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup vegan milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup cane sugar/brown sugar
- 1/2 cup veg oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup whole wheat/oat/almond flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa/cacao
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A wee bit of agave/maple syrup, if desired
- 1/4 cup tofu
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1/3 cup raw powdered sugar
- 1/4 veg oil/vegan butter
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- Vanilla seeds from 1 pod
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup agave/maple syrup
- 1/8-1/4 cup booze (I used maple whiskey)
- 1/2 bar melted dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the cake, mix ingredients from first list together and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Sift in the rest of the ingredients and stir until smooth. Taste it to make sure it's to your liking.
- Pour evenly into two 9 inch cake pans lined with foil.
- The batter should be pretty shallow in both; that's because you're going to be making 4 layers.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While they're baking, make the icing. Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Set aside.
- When done baking, let the cakes sit out in the pans for 10 minutes. Then take them out and use a giant cookie cutter (big circle) to cut out 4 cake circles - 2 from each cake.
- Put the bottom layer onto something you can easily transfer it with later. Then frost each layer and finally the top and sides. Hurraw!