This richly creamy, smoky mac and cheese is ready in no time. Made from cashews and a blend of flavors that amp up the cheesy, umami flavor like nutritional yeast, garlic, mustard, and smoked paprika, you won't believe that this classic dish is dairy-free. Just cook the pasta, blend the sauce ingredients together, and heat!
Smoky Cashew Mac and Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Makes 16 ounces sauce
- 2 cups cashews (soaked at least 2 hours, see notes)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid aminos
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- Juice from 1 1/2 lemons (approximately 1/3 cup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces pasta of choice (gluten-free, etc...)
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil, then add pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, simply add all of your ingredients (cashews first, followed by the liquids and then the remaining ingredients) into your blender and blend away. Depending on the power of your blender, you may need to blend for several minutes to get a nice creamy consistency.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and then return to the pot. Add the sauce and stir over medium-low heat until heated through. Eat immediately.
Calories: 575 | Carbs: 89g | Fat: 20g | Protein: 16g | Sugar: 4g | Sodium: 133mg