These smoked tofu fritters are protein packed and so delicious. It pairs well all your favorite condiments and can be eaten for any and all meals of the day! Enjoy!!
Smoked Tofu Fritters [Vegan]
- 8 ounces smoked tofu (in a pinch you could use liquid smoke, adding it to the tofu when it cooks)
- 2 medium to large floury potatoes
- 1 large white/yellow onion
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened soya milk
- 1 large dollop vegan butter
- 1 lemon (zested and juiced)
- 1 tablespoon dulse (or flaked nori)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 flax egg (made by vigorously blending 1 tbsp flax seed with 1/3 cup warm water)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Begin by grating the onion and gently sauté in enough of the milk to keep it from sticking, until it softens slightly.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the potatoes into small cubes, and pop them into a pan with the remainder of the milk. Let them cook over a low heat.
- Crumble the tofu into very small chunks and mix into the cooking onion, along with the dulse. Add half of the vegan butter to the potatoes, and half to the tofu.
- Let both the tofu and the potato cook until the potatoes have softened. Then, drain the potatoes well.
- In a large bowl, mash together the cooked potatoes, cooked tofu, lemon zest and juice, plain flour, flax egg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Either chill the entire mixture for half an hour or so, or, dollop the mixture onto a non-stick surface in tablespoon sized amounts and chill for the same amount of time.
- When you’re ready to cook the fritters, shape them into small patties. Fry in a little olive oil until well browned.