Pearl barley, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and corn in this lightly seasoned salad will leave you feeling satisfied. This simple, tasty, and hearty salad makes a delicious side, warm or cold!
Simple Barley Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup pearl barley or hulled barley
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water (3 cups for hulled barley)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or a fruit-flavored vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of sea salt to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1–2 fresh chili peppers, banana peppers, or jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 cup whole kernel sweet corn, cooked
- 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Toasted pumpkin seeds and/or cashews for topping
- Freshly ground black pepper to serve
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth or water to boil over medium-high heat.
- Add barley, oil, and salt and bring back to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes (about 45 minutes for hulled barley) or until tender.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes, drain liquid and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, garlic, and salt to make a smooth dressing.
- Add barley, onion, tomatoes, pepper, and sweet corn, and toss to coat.
- Stir in parsley, top with toasted pumpkin seeds and/or cashews, and add some freshly ground black pepper to serve.