This pizza is like the fall version of a salad pizza. Brussels sprouts, caramelized onions, Shiitake bacon, and vegan Parmesan on top of a crispy crust each play a supporting role of bringing together all dimensions of flavor and texture that make this pizza so perfect. The Shiitake bacon offers a savory taste, the onions a sweet and sour taste, the grilled pear a mild sweetness, and the shaved Brussels sprouts bring the entire pizza together.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Grilled Pear Pizza [Vegan]
For the Shiitake Bacon:
- 1 8-ounce package of Shiitake, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Pizza Dough:
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse semolina, to dust
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
For the Pizza:
- 4 1/2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup vegan Parmesan
- 1/2 pear sliced
For the Caramelized Onions:
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 sprig thyme
To Make the Shiitake Bacon:
- Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and back in the oven on 250°F for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms in between midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard.
To Make the Dough:
- Preheat oven to 200°F. In a bowl combine water and yeast and let sit for 5 minutes until yeast has dissolved and the mixture is frothy. Add in flour, sugar, salt, and olive oil; knead on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes until dough has formed. It should be elastic and pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl; cover with aluminum foil, place bowl in the oven, then turn the oven off. Let the dough rise in the warm oven for about 2 hours until it has doubled in size.
- Divide into two balls of dough, then use one for the remainder of this recipe. While the dough rises, prepare the toppings. Remove dough from oven, For a thin crust place baking sheet into the oven now.
To Make the Toppings:
- Place sliced onions in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until clear, about 5-7 minute. Now add the coconut sugar, red wine, and balsamic vinegar.
- Over medium-high heat, and bring to a gentle boil. Continue to boil until the mixture is reduced to about 1/2 cup. This will take 25-35 minutes. Once reduced, remove from heat and allow to cool. Add thyme.
- Prep the Brussels sprouts by trimming the bottom part using a mandolin. Cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices.
- Place the shaved Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil and toss well with your hands until the Brussels are well coated with the oil. Set aside. For the pears, spray with coconut oil and simply throw on a grill/griddle for 3-5 minutes on each side.
To Make the Pizza:
- Once the dough has risen, crank the heat on the oven up to 500°F. Let the sheet heat for at least 20 minutes in the oven.
- Dust a flat surface with flour and stretch out the pizza dough for baking. Take the heated tray out of the oven and transfer the dough directly on to it. This dough will start cooking right away providing a crispy crust. Bake the crust for 20 minutes.
- Then, remove the dough top with caramelized onions, shaved Brussels sprouts, vegan Parmesan, and Shiitake bacon, and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and top with grilled pears and thyme sprigs.
- Brussels Sprouts