A Scotch egg usually consists of a hard-boiled egg wrapped in sausage meat, coated in breadcrumbs and baked or deep-fried. This recipe has taken the spirit of the "Scotch Egg" and has made it vegan. It is a delicious powerhouse for your body. Not only are these treats oil free but you also get a lot of protein from the lentils. This dish tastes like comfort food but in actuality is good for you.
Scotch Egg [Vegan]
- 2 small-medium avocados
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
For the Mustard Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- A pinch of curry (optional)
To Make the Mustard Sauce:
- Combine the yellow mustard and the maple syrup in a small bowl. Add a pinch of curry if you'd like and whisk together.
To Make the "Egg":
- Cook the lentils and pulse with a blender or food processor, be careful not to over-process them. Add gluten-free breadcrumbs and set some aside for the crust. You can optionally add one or two teaspoons of the mustard sauce, season with salt, and combine well. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes to let the breadcrumbs absorb moisture.
- In the meantime, prepare the avocados. Halve them lengthwise, and carefully remove the stone and skin. Bring the two halves back together and cover them from the outside with the lentil mixture. It helps to first form a small “bowl” into which you place the avocado, then close the bowl and smooth.
- Mix the remaining breadcrumbs with some chopped parsley, and carefully roll the egg-shaped balls in the breadcrumb mixture. Put on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 350°F.
- If you use the optional mustard sauce, slice the baked Scotch Egg in half, and fill the avocado’s pit hole with the sauce.