If you’re looking for a vegan finger food recipe for your next dinner party or weekend appetizer, you’ve come to the right place. These vegan sausage rolls are straightforward to make, and the taste is highly reminiscent of the real thing. The filling includes vital wheat gluten, with various fresh spices added to simulate the true sausage taste. The rolls come out of the oven super crispy, and the smell that fills the kitchen makes it hard to wait until they’re cool enough to eat. Regardless of whether you enjoy them dipped in a sauce or not, they won’t disappoint.
Sausage Rolls [Vegan]
About 32 rolls
Ingredients You Need for Sausage Rolls [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup pinto beans, mashed
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 recipe vegan puff pastry
- 1-2 tablespoons water or unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
How to Prepare Sausage Rolls [Vegan]
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Place the onion into the pan and sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat, or until translucent.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and spices and cook for another 5 minutes, or until there is no liquid left in the pan. Once done, remove the pan from the heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mushroom mixture and mix for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture starts becoming stretchy.
- Roll out the dough and cut into 5x10-inch rectangles. Spread 1/8th of the wheat gluten mixture on one half of the rectangle - lengthwise. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling.
- Wet the edges of the dough and fold the empty side over the filling. Using a fork, seal the edges by pressing the fork into the dough. Cut the filled dough into 4 rolls. Wet the top of each roll with either milk or water, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Repeat filling the remaining dough as described above. Place the rolls on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the rolls become golden brown.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.