This is a delightful twist on your traditional filo dough pastry. The recipe combines the delicious spices and nuts in baklava and the baking methods of pie. The resulting dessert is light, flakey, and delicious.
Ruffled Cinnamon Pistachio Pie [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or vegan butter, melted
- 7 sheets filo dough
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked, seeds should be kept and pods can be discarded
- 1/8 teaspoon clove powder
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush a cast-iron pan with coconut oil and set it aside.
- Spread a single sheet of filo on a clean surface and ruffle it along the long edge, bringing the shorter edges together. Filo is thin, and it dries up quickly, so keep the rest of the sheets covered up with a moist cloth.
- Place the ruffled filo sheet in the iron cast pan, curling it into a spiral.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the filo sheets until the pan is fully covered.
- Put the iron cast pan in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put your spices, vanilla extract, almond milk, and cashews in a blender and mix until they are smooth. Put this batter in a medium saucepan and boil it for about five minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven briefly and spread the batter over the surface evenly.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking for another 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle it with the chopped pistachios, dust with the confectioners' sugar, and serve.