When you cut a head of cauliflower like you would a loaf of bread, the resulting slabs can be roasted and served as delicious steaks. These roasted cauliflower steaks seasoned with a luscious lemony piccata sauce and mushrooms atop a serving of creamy mashed potatoes will be your new favorite way to serve this versatile veggie.
Roasted Cauliflower Piccata With Mashed Potatoes With Sour Cream and Chives [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Roasted Cauliflower Picatta:
- 1 head cauliflower, cored
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter, chilled
- 1 recipe Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives, for serving (recipe below)
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup plain unsweetened non-dairy milk, heated
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
To Make the Roasted Cauliflower Picatta:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly oil two large rimmed baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- Place the cauliflower on a cutting board, cored-side down, and use a long serrated knife to cut it into 1/2-inch-thick slices, as if you were cutting a loaf of bread. Arrange the cauliflower slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets and brush with a little olive oil or spray with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast the cauliflower until tender and nicely browned, 25-30 minutes, turning once with a large metal spatula about halfway through.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, make the sauce. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium heat.Add the mushrooms and scallions and sauté for about 3 minutes, or until softened. Add the wine, lemon juice, and capers and cook, stirring, until the liquid reduces slightly. Just before serving, add the parsley, then stir in the butter to melt it into the sauce.
- To serve, spoon a serving of the mashed potatoes onto each plate and top with a cauliflower steak. Spoon the sauce on top.
To Make the Mashed Potatoes:
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough cold salted water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, return them to the pot, and mash with a potato masher. Mix in the milk, butter, and salt.
- Add the sour cream and chives and continue to mash until all of the ingredients are well mixed and the potatoes are smooth. Serve hot.
Roasted Cauliflower Piccata from VEGANIZE IT! by Robin Robertson, William Brinson, and Susan Brinson. Copyright © 2017 by Robin Robertson, William Brinson, and Susan Brinson. Used by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved. Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives from VEGANIZE IT! by Robin Robertson. Copyright © 2017 by Robin Robertson. Used by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.