This Rice Kheer (with Jaggery) is so amazing! What could be a better way to finish off a simple home-cooked Indian meal than with a bowl of sweet, creamy, and fragrant rice kheer?
Rice Kheer (with Jaggery) [Vegan]
- 2/3 cup Basmati rice, soaked in water for 20 minutes & drained
- 2/3 cup Jaggery powder, tightly packed (substitute with sugar if desired)
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup broken cashews, soaked for 4 hours & drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins, soaked in warm water for 2 hours & drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted/blanched mixed nuts
- 1 stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 pod green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 1 big pinch cinnamon powder
- 1 big pinch cardamom powder
- 1 small pinch salt
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pod, and soaked rice. Roast for 3-4 minutes over low-medium heat until the rice turns a light golden brown.
- Add one cup of coconut milk + one cup of water to the cooker. Pressure cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick and cardamom pod.
- Grind the soaked cashews with ½ cup of coconut milk until smooth. Add this paste along with the remaining coconut milk to the cooked rice. Mix well and simmer over low-medium heat for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the jaggery powder/sugar and mix well. Cook for a further 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently until the kheer reaches your desired consistency (it will thicken further after being refrigerated). Turn off the heat.
- Add a pinch of salt, cardamom powder, cinnamon powder, raisins, and chopped nuts, and mix well. Serve warm or cold!