What better way to eat two of the most fabulous desserts ever? By combining them! Red Velvet Cake meets Cheesecake.
Red Velvet Cheesecake [Vegan]
For the Red Velvet Cake:
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoons Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Flax Seeds
- 3 Tablespoons Hot Water
- 1-2 teaspoons Red Food Color *gel paste or liquid
- 1 teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Cheesecake:
- 1 1/2 package Vegan Cream Cheese
- half package (7ounces) Firm Tofu
- 1 cup Vegan Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Vegan lactic Acid OR Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Butter
- First prepare the red velvet cake recipe by combining the ground flax seed with hot water and whisk smooth.
- Let stand for at least 5 minutes to thicken to a paste.
- In a large bowl place the sifted flour, Baking Soda, Salt and Cocoa Powder together.
- In another bowl combine all of the wet ingredients including the sugar and the red food color whisk smooth.
- Add the flax paste and then the dry ingredients and whisk smooth.
- Pour the batter into the greased and parchment lined cake pans and bake immediately at 350°F for 25 - 30 minutes or until springy to the touch when gently pressed in the centers or a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs.
- Once the red velvet cake is cooled take one layer and chop it up into 1/2" cubes, reserve them in the freezer or refrigerator to go into the cheesecake batter later.
- The other layer of cake will go into the refrigerator (wrapped well) until after the cheesecake is completely set and ready to assemble.
- Place all cheesecake ingredients (except the red velvet cubes) into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Fold the red velvet cubes in by hand so they don't break up too much.
- Optional red food color swirl into a small portion of the batter, depending on how pink you want your cake to be.
- Pour into a greased and parchment lined cake pan and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour turn the oven off and let the cheesecake stay inside to cool down for another hour.
- Take out of the cooled oven and place in the refrigerator to cool and set for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once completely firm and set unmold the cake onto a platter or cardboard cake circle, remove the parchment paper and adhere the red velvet cake layer onto the bottom. Sometimes a little vegan cream cheese icing helps as glue.
- Ice the top and sides with more vegan cream cheese icing then press the red velvet cake scraps that have been ground down to crumbs all over the top and sides, vegan white chocolate drizzle optional.