This is a recipe for a delicious vegetable tart, with a healthy whole wheat crust. The Mediterranean inspired flavors are held together by a roasted garlic and artichoke spread, salty kalamata olives, and tender grilled zucchini. Make this for a light meal or impress your guests and serve this as an appetizer.
Vegetable Tart [Vegan]
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp oat milk (or vegan milk of your choice- soy, almond, etc.)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 heads garlic
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 14oz marinated artichokes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 zucchini, sliced thinly on a diagonal
- kalamata olives, sliced in half
- roasted red pepper to top
- fresh basil to top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, and dried basil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil and milk.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture and blend with a fork until it comes together- do not over mix.
- Press mixture into a 9 x 9 tart pan and cover with foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 4-6 more minutes, until pastry is set.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice a 1/4 inch off the tops of the garlic cloves.
- Place garlic cut side up in a baking dish and drizzle with 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Cover with foil and roast for 40 minutes, until garlic is soft.
- In the meantime, combine drained artichokes, rosemary, salt, pepper, and 2 tbsp olive oil in a food processor.
- When garlic is roasted, squeeze cloves into the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spray a grill pan with cooking spray or olive oil, and heat to medium high heat. Place zucchini pieces onto grill pan and cook until tender and grill marks appear on both sides.
- Top tart crust with roasted garlic artichoke spread. Place grilled zucchini, kalamata olives, roasted red pepper, and basil on top as you please. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!