For a satisfying meal that's super easy to make, try out these cannelloni! Thin zucchini slices hug creamy cashew cheese to make scrumptious raw rolls. Serve these on a bed of marinara sauce with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for a truly unique Italian dinner, snack, or appetizer.
Raw Cannelloni in Marinara Sauce [Vegan]
For the Cannelloni:
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into thin slices lengthwise
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for 4 hours and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the Marinara Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cup ripe tomato, cut in quarters
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked for 4 hours and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tablespoons chopped black olives
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- Salt, Pepper, and chili flakes, to taste
For the Brazil Nuts Parmesan:
- 6 Brazil nuts, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon tamari
To Make the Cannelloni:
- Spread zucchini slices in a tray and sprinkle with a little salt and a drizzle of lemon juice. This marinade will make the slices more flexible for when you roll the cannelloni.
- In a food processor, blend cashew nuts, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt into a smooth paste.
- Lay three zucchini slices side-by-side lengthwise, overlapping a bit to form a rectangle. Shape 2 tablespoons of cashew paste into a cylinder and place at a short end of the rectangle. Starting from filling end, roll zucchini to make the cannelloni. Repeat with remaining zucchini and paste.
To Make the Marinara Sauce:
- Blend all the ingredients into a smooth sauce.
To Make the Brazil Nut Parmesan:
- Mix ground Brazil nuts with tamari and dehydrate for about 2 hours at 108°F. If you don’t have a dehydrator you can use the oven at the lowest temperature possible.
- Pour some sauce on a plate and place 2 cannelloni at the center. Top with the chopped olives and Brazil nuts parmesan.