The spring season is here and the warmer weather is a cause for celebration! Naturally, I decided to make colorful, fresh and light raw beet ravioli- perfect for the blooming season! To really get the full benefit, it's best to eat beets raw as they tend to lose valuable pigments as the cooking time increases.
Raw Beet Ravioli With Cilantro Cream [Vegan]
- 2 beets (I used one golden and one red)
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- juice of 1½ lemons, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cashews
- large handful of cilantro
- ⅓ cup water
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- chives for garnish (optional)
- Soak cashews overnight.
- Slice beets very thin with mandoline. If using different colored beets, place gold beet and red beet in two separate plastic bags.
- Add one Tablespoon olive oil, juice of half lemon, salt and pepper in each bag. Make sure that the liquid is dispersed among all beets and push all air out of bag. Refrigerate for at least 2 to 3 hours.
- Rinse the cashews and add to blender along with the water, remaining lemon juice, salt and pepper, garlic cloves, nutritional yeast and mustard and blend until smooth and creamy. There should not be any cashew pieces left.
- Heat a pan with no oil and add sunflower seeds. Heat until seeds begin to brown, remove from heat and let cool. You can roughly chop them as I did or leave them intact.
- To assemble, place one piece of beet on plate followed by a dollop of cashew cream, then another piece of beet. Garnish with sunflower seeds and chives.