One of the best things about fall, apart from those lush sunny-but-chilly days, is definitely pumpkin! It’s pumpkin season folks, which means that we've been in the kitchen eagerly whipping up one pumpkin recipe after the other! Pumpkin is not only super healthy but also extremely tasty and just happens to be the perfect addition to plant-based cheese! This Pumpkin Grilled Cheese is loaded with the powerful antioxidant beta-carotene, vitamin A, fiber and even protein! At the same time pumpkin is relatively low in fat, hence the healthy fats from the cashews make sure that all of the goodies are properly absorbed.
Pumpkin Grilled Cheese [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw pumpkin, diced
- 1/2 cup water (from the pot)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 white onion, raw
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the pumpkin and cut it into small cubes.
- Bring a pot with water to a boil, add the pumpkin, cashews and onion and let simmer on medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat, safe 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain the rest.
- Add the soft pumpkin, cashews, onion and the remaining ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a pan and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Make sure to stir constantly as the mixture will get stretchy very quickly.
- Once you've got a stretchy texture, take the pan off the heat and place a big scoop onto your toast.
- Use a sandwich press to prepare your grilled cheese sandwich and enjoy!