This soup is creamy and has the perfect combination of spicy and sweet. The deep orange color makes for a beautiful presentation and the aromas will have your mouth watering before it even makes it to the table! Enjoy this with a big piece of gluten-free bread or a baked potato for a filling, easy meal!
Pumpkin Ginger Chickpea Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups cubed pumpkin
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 cm chunk of ginger, minced
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- spices: curry, chili, turmeric
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 2 leeks
- 2 spring onions
- parsley, minced
- toasted silvered almonds, optional
- 1 teaspoon barley miso paste, optional
- cashew/soy/oat cream
- Sauté pumpkin cubes on olive oil.
- Add minced onions, fresh minced ginger and keep sautéing.
- Then add carrot, cooked chickpeas, seasonings and spices: salt, turmeric, chili, curry, and enough water to cover the veggies.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes until veggies are soft.
- Then add soy sauce, spring onions and leeks (reserve green part of spring onions to add at the end).
- Cook for another 5 minutes and then blended 1/3 of soup (you can add here 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon miso paste if you want)
- Mix it back in and add more seasonings as needed, minced parsley leaves and spring onions. Keep it covered for the onions to wilt. Add more water if it’s too thick. You can serve it with some cream, garnished with almonds and spring onions.