This Pseudo Grain Porridge with Caramelized Banana is a great alternative to traditional porridge. Pseudograins are seed-like grains, full of phytonutrients and antioxidants that can help lower blood sugar levels. They are an excellent, highly nutritious gluten-free alternative for those who for a variety of reasons (nut allergies or gluten sensitivity for example) cannot use nuts or traditional grains. Psoudograins are also a great source of complete protein and offer a healthy dose of dietary fiber.
Pseudo Grain Porridge with Caramelized Banana [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/4 cup amaranth
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup millet
- 2 tablespoons wild rice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice for soaking
- pinch of sea salt
Caramelized Banana Topping:
- 2 bananas sliced into rounds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- dash of vanilla bean powder
- raw chopped nuts cacao nibs, almond milk, or any other desired toppings
For the Pseudograin Porridge:
- To receive the greatest nutritional benefit from this recipe, it's encouraged that you to take the time and soak your pseoudograins. The night before you plan to serve the porridge, mix amaranth, buckwheat, millet and wild rice in a large pot cover with three to four cups of purified water and stir in one tablespoon lemon juice. Allow the pseudocereals to soak overnight or at least eight hours. Drain and rinse.
- Place the porridge mixture back into the pot, cover with 1.5 cups of water and a pinch of sea salt.
- Turn the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Drop the heat to low, top with a lid, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Remove from the stove and let sit covered and away from the heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your topping.
For the Caramelized Banana Topping:
- Heat the oil in a skillet over low heat. Add the maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla, and incorporate all ingredients well.
- Add bananas and simmer for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- To serve, fluff the porridge mi