These rolls are chewy on the outside and soft and buttery on the inside. Just like a pretzel should be! Perfect by themselves, on the side of a creamy soup or even as the bun for a slider - there's no end to how these can be enjoyed.
Pretzel Rolls [Vegan]
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups strong white flour or bread flour
- 1 tsp dried active yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil + more for kneading
- 11 fl oz water
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- Coarse sea salt
- In a big bowl, mix the flours together. Add the salt on one side of the bowl and the yeast on the other.
- Add the olive oil and the water and stir the dough with a wooden spoon until it forms a shaggy dough.
- Lightly oil your work surface with some olive oil and tip out the dough. Knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes until it is smooth and glossy.
- Return the dough to a lightly oiled clean bowl and cover it with a tea towel. Leave the dough to rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size. A longer and slower rise makes for a better tasting bread so don’t leave it in too warm a place!
- Once the dough has risen for 2 hours, on a lightly floured surface knock it back, pushing the air out with your knuckles.
- Fold the dough over on itself a couple times and then using a sharp knife divide the dough into 8 equal sections.
- Form each piece of dough into a ball. Put the balls of dough onto a baking tray and place them in a plastic bag. Leave to rise for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400f. In a large pot, boil the 6 cups of water. Once boiling add the baking soda. It will fizz up!
- Using a slotted spoon, lower each roll into the water. Boil the rolls for 1 minutes and then turn them over and boil again for another minute.
- Scoop out the dough and place back on the baking tray. Using a sharp knife cut an X shape on top of each roll and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake the rolls for 20 minutes, turning once or until golden brown and shiny on top.